Research Programmer II
Integrative Structural and Computational Biology
Research Programmer II
The hiring laboratory is involved in numerous projects to build software infrastructure for bioinformatics, genetics, and genomics research. We have a particular emphasis on building large scale data integration infrastructure and the community platforms that enable collaboration and crowdsourcing. This position will be involved in one or more
-funded projects focusing on management of biological big-data. Current representative projects include MyGene.info, MyVariant.info, BioThings.io, Mark2Cure.org, Smart-
.info. This position will also perform other related duties, tasks and responsibilities as required or assigned.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Employment Opportunity (
) employer that values a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
Details of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
* Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience. A degree in a biological or chemical science may be accepted if applicable to the science developed/performed in the individual lab.
* Minimum of two years’ experience in software application development and research programming. Lab/bench work experience may be accepted in conjunction with development/programming experience as determined by the individual lab.
* An advanced degree in a field directly related to the science developed/performed may be accepted in lieu of some experience (e.g. Master’s degree in lieu of 2 years’ experience or Ph.D. in lieu of 3 years’ experience), depending upon the individual lab.
* Extensive knowledge of various operating systems and computer languages as well as knowledge of scientific principles.
* A cover letter describing how your background aligns with your understanding of our needs.
The technology stack currently used in the lab includes:
Prior experience with one or more of these technologies is preferred. Descriptions of how and why you’ve used competing technologies is also welcome.
Prior experience with open-source software is strongly preferred. Including links to public code repositories is strongly recommended.
* Be capable of capable of leading more junior developers.
* Have proven expertise in building robust software in a multi-developer environment.
$51,792- $64,813 per year budgeted hiring range
Job Closing Date:
Open Until Filled
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
Job Reference #: