Virginia Commonwealth University
Chemical & Life Science Engineering
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Medicines for All Institute (M4ALL), operating under the auspices of
School of Engineering, is designed to improve access to affordable, high-quality medicines. The Executive Director will work closely with the Department Chair and PIs to create and execute on a vision and mission for the Medicines for All Institute’s team and infrastructure, including defining organizational priorities, and leading and supporting their implementation. This position requires balancing multiple roles and is responsible for providing critical oversight and management of internal and external functions, systems and processes, including, but not limited to, building strategic partnerships in global health, industry, government, and academia to create and advance business opportunities that align with vision and mission; providing recommendations on technology development initiatives that complement and expand upon the Institute’s core competencies; and serving as program manager for sponsors like the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to successfully execute projects and activities. As such, the Executive Director will position Medicines for All as a sustainable entity, ensuring long-term ability to execute its vision, strategy, and mission as a best-in-class operation.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- PhD degree in Chemistry, Polymers, Materials Science, Chemical Engineering or equivalent required.
- Significant years relevant experience at a technology-based organization, with several years in a leadership role.
- Multiple years demonstrated experience in developing and managing innovative and multi-disciplinary technology platforms, including program management and technology transition.
- Several years relevant experience in continuous manufacturing of pharmaceuticals, distributed manufacturing systems, and “on demand” biologics production methodologies.
- Proven ability to effectively interact with all levels of administration, staff, students, faculty, Boards, alumni, other key constituents and stakeholders.
- Proven record of building and leading high performing and cross-cutting teams, across functions and capabilities.
- Proven planning and organizational skills within a fast-paced environment, with keen attention to schedules and deadlines.
- Financial, strategic planning and market analysis skills required.
- The School of Engineering at
supports a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment. The candidate will demonstrate experience that shows their commitment to fostering such an environment.
- Strong written/oral skills required, and ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills required.
Preferred Hiring Standards
Experience working in a large, complex university setting and knowledge of upper level university/college operations.
Required Licenses/ Certifications
Anticipated Hiring Range
Commensurate with Experience
Application Process/Additional Information
Normal Work Days/Hours
Monday-Friday/8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
Job Open Date
Remove from posting on or before
Open Until Filled
Is this a restricted position?
Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements?
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you find out about this position? Alumni association magazine
Chronicle of Higher Education
HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
Higher education publication
Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
Referred by person/employee
Search firm notification
VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
If you selected Other for your referral source please indicate where you heard about this posting. (If you did not select Other, please enter n/a.) (Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
600 W. Franklin Street
Richmond, VA 23284-2511
Virginia Commonwealth University
Website : http://www.vcu.edu/
VCU has a tradition of being first — a necessary practice when one is trying to provide the very best education in rapidly evolving times. We put one foot in front of the other, just like everybody else.We just happen to be one step ahead.