Position Title: Investigator - Biochemistry
Working Location: Pennsylvania
Employment Status: Full time
Required Experience: 4 years
Required Education: Phd/Doctorate
Travel Required: 0%
GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines a talented workforce and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
An opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated and creative scientist to join a biochemistry group in the department of Screening, Profiling & Mechanistic Biology (SPMB) at GSK’s facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The primary responsibility of the department is to deliver high quality, biologically relevant pre-clinical leads for all GSK therapeutic areas, by employing a combination of scientific tools and methodologies, including but not limited to assay development, high throughput screening, compound profiling, and mechanism of action studies.
In this role, the individual will contribute to discovery projects and technology advances in preclinical drug discovery. In that capacity, the individual will lead interactions with key internal and external business partners including scientists from within the division, GSK therapeutic area units, target validation departments and other platform groups. The ideal candidate will possess significant technical expertise in assay development and enzymology, and have a demonstrated track record of strategic leadership in this discipline. The successful candidate will be expected to be effective in prioritizing across multiple projects, exhibit strong partnering behaviors, be highly flexible and productive, and possess positive communication skills.
• Design and implementation of assays for high-throughput screening, employ enzyme kinetics to characterize proteins and small molecule mechanism of action, and apply biophysical methods to further mechanistic understanding of small molecule/protein interactions
• Characterization of enzymes and biological systems
• Independently execute laboratory experiments and/or advanced data analysis and reduction, integration and interpretation with an emphasis on providing appropriate context for data and experiments to progress programs and/or platforms.
• Work in a matrix team environment to enable optimum delivery of project and department objectives to the highest possible scientific standard
• Strategic leadership in hit identification and lead optimization for small molecule programs that reflects the relevant disease biology
• Presenting data in internal or external scientific meetings
• Leading research projects, and direct the science on both small molecule discovery and technology projects
Application closing date: 31st January 2018
• A Ph.D. in biological sciences (such as Biochemistry, Enzymology, Biophysics, Pharmacology) plus 2 years of post-doc experience or a BS/MS with 5 years relevant industry experience in a related discipline is required.
• Extensive laboratory experience and strong theoretical background are required in one or more of the following fields: biochemical assay development, enzyme kinetics, protein biochemistry, biophysics, and chemical biology.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex,
age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity,
status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal,
state or local protected class.
Website : http://www.gsk.com
GlaxoSmithKline Inc. (GSK) is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company devoted to discovering and developing new and innovative medicines and vaccines for Canadians and people around the world. Every day, our employees strive to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.