ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY TECHNICIAN, SENIOR
Senior EH&S Technician
$23.18 - $27.89 hourly
3401-ENVIRONMENT, HEALTH AND SAFETY
Department Website URL:
Job Summary Statement:
Under the general supervision of the Hazardous Materials Manager, perform Senior Environment, Health & Safety responsibilities of the hazardous waste management program at UCLA. Major functions include the collection, transportation, segregation, storage, bulking, and packaging of hazardous waste. Schedule pickups. Maintain and inspect waste facility and vehicles, record keep, provide information to generators, provide basic guidance to campus community in the areas of hazardous waste and safety, respond to emergencies, and assist in other Environment, Health and Safety related duties as required.
Percentage of Time:
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION
1. Education and experience equivalent to a BA/BS in Chemistry, Environment and Occupational Health or related field, or two years directly related experience, or possession of a certificate in hazardous materials or hazardous waste management.
2. General knowledge of organic and inorganic chemistry, hazardous materials, the toxicity of hazardous materials, hazardous classifications and chemical incompatibilities, chemical handling procedures and personal protective equipment.
3. Experience in the operational aspects of a hazardous waste program.
4. Possession of a Valid California Driver's License and the ability to operate a one ton truck.
5. The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing in order to convey technical information to trained and untrained personnel regarding chemical safety.
6. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other staff and faculty.
7. Skill in working as part of a team and collaborating with colleagues and interacting diplomatically with all levels of university personnel.
8. Ability to lift 50 pounds and manipulate drums weighing up to 500 pound using a drum cart.
9. Ability to wear respiratory equipment including a SCBA and other types of chemical protective equipment.
10. Ability to operate a PC.
11. The ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
12. Knowledge of laws and regulations pertaining to the management of hazardous materials.
13. Ability to respond to emergencies involving hazardous materials.
ADDITIONAL POSTING INFORMATION
External Posting Date:
Quicklink To Posting:
Number of Positions:
SPECIAL EMPLOYMENT DESIGNATIONS/ REQUIREMENTS PER UC POLICY
Conflict of Interest:
Continued employment contingent upon completion of satisfactory background investigation.
Position is subject to the California DMV's Pull Notice System and continued employment is contingent upon proof of a satisfactory driving record.
Certain positions funded by federal contracts/subcontracts requires UCLA to notify job applicants that an E-Verify check will be conducted and the successful candidate must pass the E-Verify check.
More Information This position does not require E-Verify check.
Is this position designated as a mandatory reporter under CANRA* No
Other Special Employment Requirements:
Age Requirement: Applicants must be 18 years or older to be eligible to be hired.
Drug Test: Employment is contingent upon completion of satisfactory drug test.
Pre-employment Physical: Employment is contingent upon completion of satisfactory pre-employment physical examination.
TB Test: Continued employment is contingent upon completion of satisfactory TB test.
POSITION IS SUBJECT TO PERFORMANCE STANDARDS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY WIDE POLICE POLICIES AND ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURES.
Return to Search Results
The **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer advancing inclusive excellence. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories covered by the UC nondiscrimination policy. UC Nondiscrimination & Affirmative Action Policy ****Please be advised that the final candidate recommended for hire into a critical (or otherwise designated) position will be required to successfully complete a background investigation. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
UCLA is a Tobacco-Free environment. For more information, please view the policy at Tobacco-Free Campus Policy ****
University of California
Website : http://universityofcalifornia.edu
The University of California opened its doors in 1869 with just 10 faculty members and 38 students. Today, the UC system includes more than 238,000 students and more than 190,000 faculty and staff, with more than 1.7 million alumni living and working around the world. For almost 150 years, UC has expanded the horizons of what we know about ourselves and our world. Our campuses are routinely ranked among the best in the world, but our reach extends beyond campus borders. Our students, faculty, staff and alumni exchange ideas, make advancements and unlock the secrets and mysteries of the universe every day. They engage with their local governments, serve California schools, protect the environment and push the boundaries of space.